Seizure & Epilepsy Diagnosis & Treatment in NYC
Do You Suffer From Seizures or Epilepsy?
Frequent seizures may be the result of epilepsy or possibly the warning sign of a life-threatening concern, such as a brain tumor. If you deal with seizures on a regular basis, as millions of Americans do, then you require a thorough and accurate epilepsy diagnosis. At Complete Neurological Care in NYC, our epilepsy and seizure specialists can assess the cause of your muscle twitching and discuss possible treatment options.
Complete Neurological Care is your number one choice for comprehensive and caring neurological treatment in New York. Our NYC board-certified neurologists are experts in their field with decades of experience treating neurological concerns, including seizures and epilepsy. Our goal is to relieve your pain quickly, safely, and effectively by utilizing our best diagnostic approaches and implementing our trusted treatment procedures. Schedule an appointment for seizures or epilepsy treatment today.
What Causes Seizures?
There are many different types of seizures, the most common being generalized and focal. A generalized one affects both sides of the brain and can lead to a postictal state afterward. A focal one occurs as a result of abnormal electrical activity in one or multiple parts of one side of the brain, they can be simple or complex. Possible causes of these episodes may include:
- Medical conditions, such as epilepsy
- Brain disease
- The use of drugs and alcohol
- Neurological problems
How the issue will be addressed depends on the cause, which your seizure doctor will assess through a number of different diagnostic procedures.
How Will Your Seizure & Epilepsy Doctor Diagnose the Problem?
At Complete Neurological Care, we offer a number of diagnostic procedures, such as:
- Transcranial Doppler (TCD): Using ultrasound technology, the seizure specialist will look at the blood flow within the brain for any abnormalities.
- Brain Neuroimaging (MRI, CT Scan): Helpful in diagnosis brain structural lesions like benign or malignant tumors, cerebrovascular accident/stroke, demyelinating lesions and degenerative disease.
- Electroencephalogram (EEG/Ambulatory Video EEG): This test is one of the main ways of diagnosing epilepsy. The seizure doctor monitors the electrical impulses in the brain via electrodes placed on the scalp. We can also use this to diagnose a number of other possible brain problems.
Can Seizures & Epilepsy Be Treated?
That will depend on what the diagnostic procedures discover. In some cases, seizures and epilepsy can be treated while others will need to be successfully managed. Our neurologists will discuss your options and if necessary, refer you to a specialist.
To treat chronic seizures, schedule your appointment today with Complete Neurological Care, located in Queens, Downtown Manhattan, Midtown Manhattan, Long Island, Upper West Side, the Bronx, and New Jersey. Our neurologists are equipped with the skills and technology necessary to diagnose and treat your neurological concerns.